Our full-service Dispute Resolution team advises on, manages, and conducts all forms of dispute resolution including litigation, arbitration and mediation. This ranges from strategic advice during the early stages of negotiations, to courtroom and arbitration advocacy, compliance with regulatory regimes, internal investigations and investigations brought by regulatory authorities.
We have a particular focus and experience in disputes that are high value, intricate, and international in nature. In Litigation, we have had leading roles in some of the most challenging and ground-breaking court proceedings arising out of the credit crisis.
We have an enviable practice that leads on cutting-edge cases in a wide variety of sectors, including financial services, energy, TMT, and hospitality. Our team was awarded “Dispute Resolution Team of the Year” at the Legal Business Awards 2015 for our ongoing role representing the Littlewoods group in its landmark £1.25 billion High Court and Court of Appeal victories. This involved a claim against HMRC concerning compound interest on overpaid tax – representing one of the largest money judgments (if not the largest money judgment) ever handed down by the English courts.
Our Arbitration practice has an outstanding track record in winning high value disputes, both in the UK and internationally. We represent clients in arbitrations all over the world and under all major arbitral rules, including those of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) and the American Arbitration Association (AAA) among others.
Our White Collar Defense and Investigations group specialises in business crime, financial regulation, corporate fraud and corruption. It advises clients on all aspects of governance and compliance, including anti-bribery, fraud, anti-money laundering and sanctions. To read more about our work in the Dispute Resolution team click here, where you can follow partner Hannah’s story.
Key recent London-led dispute resolution matters include advising:
- PGNiG in its landmark $12 billion arbitration against Gazprom with regard to the pricing of gas supplied under a long-term supply agreement
- Littlewoods on its landmark £1.25 billion High Court and European Court of Justice claim against HMRC concerning the repayment of interest on overpaid tax
- Ingenious Media in its £1 billion + appeal against amendments made by HMRC to tax returns of a number of film production companies
- Securing victory for Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay and their associated companies in the Court of Appeal in the multimillion pound action regarding the Maybourne Hotel Group, which owns three iconic London hotels: Claridges, the Berkeley and the Connaught
Recent awards, rankings and accolades include:
- Dispute Resolution Team of the Year (Legal Business Awards 2015)
- European Tax Disputes Firm of the Year (Euromoney International European Tax Awards 2015)
- Consistently ranked as a ‘leading’ arbitration practice (Legal 500 UK)
- Consistently report more UK judgments than other US-headquartered firms ranked higher in Chambers UK (Lawtel)