Comprising leveraged finance, high yield and structured finance, our integrated Finance practice is a core part of our business offering and provides a single solution for banks and sponsors across all European finance products. The team is dynamic and entrepreneurial, and works on the largest and most complicated financings in the market – guiding clients as the markets rapidly evolve in this unique economic climate. We work with leading private equity firms, financial institutions and funds across bank, bond, securitisation and capital markets to structure and advise on financing packages tailored to each particular transaction and each business’s individual needs.
Banking & Finance
Our London team has been at the forefront of trends in the European finance market and is involved in virtually all of Europe’s largest leveraged buyouts, advising on deals and bid situations with a combined value in excess of $96 billion in 2015. Few firms can match Weil’s ability to provide a single solution for banks and sponsors across all European finance products, including European loan, yankee loan and high yield. Providing top tier execution capabilities to sponsors, lenders and borrowers, we have built a reputation for market innovation and for executing complex acquisition structures.
The London Structured Finance group has been at the forefront of the industry in Europe since the inception of the market. It’s known for complex and innovative transactions, including the creation of several first-ever securitisations of specific asset classes. We cover the full range of structured finance products and have extensive derivatives expertise. Along with asset-backed security and mortgage-backed security experience, we have a dominant position in the revitalised European collateralised loan obligation (CLO) 2.0 market, and are active on debt portfolio trades and distressed deals.
Key recent London-led leveraged and structured finance deals include advising:
- Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Nomura, Nordea Bank and another major financial institution as the lenders on the financing of Hellman & Friedman’s acquisition of Securitas Direct Verisure Group, the largest European leveraged buyout deal of 2015
- JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley and another major financial institution as joint lead arrangers, in the financing for the combination of the coffee business of Mondelēz International and D.E Master Blenders 1753
- JP Morgan, Deutsche Bank and Goldman Sachs on the financing of Hony Capital’s $1.54 billion acquisition of Pizza Express, the largest casual dining restaurant operator in the UK, from the Gondola Group
- Goldman Sachs as the sole arranger in respect of CVC’s £800 million acquisition of a controlling stake in Sky Bet, a gaming subsidiary of Sky plc
- Blackstone / GSO Debt Funds Management Europe as collateral manager on all its European CLO 2.0 transactions, including the ground-breaking Phoenix Park CLO which utilises a new and innovative structure
- Barclays as the most significant stakeholder in the complex, high-profile £1.5 billion restructuring of two whole business PropCo securitisations (Theatre 1 and Theatre 2) relating to the General Healthcare Group
Recent awards, rankings and accolades include:
- Finance Team of the Year finalist (Legal Business Awards 2016 and The Lawyer Awards 2016)
- Structured Finance and Securitisation Team of the Year finalist (IFLR European Awards 2016)
- Retained Band 1 positions in Private Equity and Sponsor Finance – Weil is the only firm to hold top-tier rankings for both practices (Chambers UK 2016)
- $96 billion value of all bids and financings worked on in 2015
- Dominating the 2015 CLO market, acting on one third of all public European transactions
- Structured Finance and Securitisation Deal of the Year finalist for Theatre Hospitals CMBS Restructuring (IFLR European Awards 2016)